Skip to main content

Featured

Week 12: Release 0.4 Part: 3

Release 0.4 Part 3 This is going to be my final post for this class which covers my final update on my Release 0.4. Earlier this week I made a PR that ports SearchBar to NextJS but I'm still waiting for it to be reviewed some more. I've had some feedback that I have implemented and have also requested a review again. Overall this Release went pretty smoothly for the actually GitHub side of things like setting up the issue, making the PR, and so on. In Release 0.3 I wasn't so certain on how this process happened with Telescope, but now I never had these issues for 0.4. Issue #1470 Fix #1470: Port SearchBar from Gatsby -> NextJS #1503 Did I Meet My Goals? Going into this release I had two main goals: 1. Setup the Issue/PR with no issues 2. Learn about NextJS I feel like I meet both of these goals at the end. I had no issues setting up my branch, updating my master, making the issue, making the PR, and following through on review comments so far. When it comes to learning m

Week 10: Release 0.4 Part: 1

Release 0.4

Alright the final project for this class begins! For this I had a few choices to choose from ranging from fixing bugs or adding a feature. I ended choosing to add a feature this time which was to help with the Gatsby conversion to Next.js on Telescope.



The Quest for a Good Issue

Early on this week I tried to find a project to work on but I had no success finding the right one, either that or I was to afraid to jump into the unknown. Finding something that is doable but not in my comfort zone was a lot harder then I thought it would be even with starting early for the search. In the end I decided to help out with the Next.js conversion since I've never done anything like that before, but feel like I should be able to handle it. 

For this issue I was able to choose which part of the code I would tackle so I ended up choosing something I was already familiar with from Release 0.3 which was the SearchBar component. This is definitely going to take sometime to figure out and understand, but my plan is to read the supplied doc's and look and examples others have done on Telescope and elsewhere on the internet.

My end goal for this release is to get better at properly setting up PR's and Issue's as well as learning about Next.js as it's been on the rise lately. 

What's Next?

My next update will be on Friday when I have more work done for this issue. This is going to cover what I've done, what I'm stuck on, and a general look at how this project is going.

Thanks,

-Matt

Comments

Popular Posts