Skip to main content

Featured

Week 12: Release 0.4 Part: 3

Release 0.4 Part 3 This is going to be my final post for this class which covers my final update on my Release 0.4. Earlier this week I made a PR that ports SearchBar to NextJS but I'm still waiting for it to be reviewed some more. I've had some feedback that I have implemented and have also requested a review again. Overall this Release went pretty smoothly for the actually GitHub side of things like setting up the issue, making the PR, and so on. In Release 0.3 I wasn't so certain on how this process happened with Telescope, but now I never had these issues for 0.4. Issue #1470 Fix #1470: Port SearchBar from Gatsby -> NextJS #1503 Did I Meet My Goals? Going into this release I had two main goals: 1. Setup the Issue/PR with no issues 2. Learn about NextJS I feel like I meet both of these goals at the end. I had no issues setting up my branch, updating my master, making the issue, making the PR, and following through on review comments so far. When it comes to learning m

Week 6: Lab 5

 Lab 5

This weeks lab was about learning a few additional Git commands used to manage our git history like rebase and amend. During my first pull request for release 0.2 I actually had to do one of these rebases before I was allowed to push my work which was quite confusing since I've never heard or seen rebases before. The video this week about rebasing helped out a lot with my understanding of its use and purpose. Making visual studio code my default editor for rebasing was really nice especially since one of my first PR's made me use Vim. I had too commit changes bit by bit in small portions to later rebase them under one commit.

Here is the single commit on 'master' 7915d57

The Changes

The lab mainly had me improving my existing code in a variety of ways. My main goal was to make it more readable and understandable and to rework portions of the code so they didn't rely on each other as much. An example of this was originally the read file function called the request function. There isn't a reason why it should at all. Other then that I fixed a lot of small bugs and added some small new features such as a total URL counter at the end of the output.

The default help message output was updated:

I found my output was quite basic and bland, so here is a before and after with the changes.

Before:

After:

Here's a list of the major changes:

  • Split the code into different files for easier reading
  • Each new file focused on one aspect of the program ex. reading files, checking URLs
  • Ambiguous variable/function names were updated for a clearer understanding
  • Text output was updated to look better
  • Updated the ReadMe
  • Other small errors
Rebase & Final Thoughts

The interactive rebase was confusing at first but I figured it out. I reworded my top commit message and squashed all others. After this I tried out the amend command to reword my commit message to something that would cover all of these new changes. I was actually surprised how many insertions and deletions came up from this lab alone. Overall I feel like this lab helped out a lot with my git commit history understandings.

Updating 5d0d337..7915d57
Fast-forward
 LinkStatus.exe | Bin 7033344 -> 0 bytes
 README.md      |  22 +++---
 file.go        |  82 ++++++++++++++++++++
 main.go        | 233 +++++++++++----------------------------------------------
 request.go     | 102 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 5 files changed, 237 insertions(+), 202 deletions(-)

Comments

Popular Posts