Skip to main content

Featured

Week 12: Release 0.4 Part: 3

Release 0.4 Part 3 This is going to be my final post for this class which covers my final update on my Release 0.4. Earlier this week I made a PR that ports SearchBar to NextJS but I'm still waiting for it to be reviewed some more. I've had some feedback that I have implemented and have also requested a review again. Overall this Release went pretty smoothly for the actually GitHub side of things like setting up the issue, making the PR, and so on. In Release 0.3 I wasn't so certain on how this process happened with Telescope, but now I never had these issues for 0.4. Issue #1470 Fix #1470: Port SearchBar from Gatsby -> NextJS #1503 Did I Meet My Goals? Going into this release I had two main goals: 1. Setup the Issue/PR with no issues 2. Learn about NextJS I feel like I meet both of these goals at the end. I had no issues setting up my branch, updating my master, making the issue, making the PR, and following through on review comments so far. When it comes to learning m

Week 2: Lab 1

 The Lab

So to go along with my release 0.1 project, I needed to have my code reviewed by another person and to review there code as well. Since only a few people have seemed to use GO for this project, me and a few others grouped up to discuss and get help with are code. Being invited to this group was actually a big help when it came to solving problems in my code like what package I should use for so and so.

I worked with Tony Vu for this lab. To start we both forked over each others repo's to run on are own machines. The goal was to see how user friendly are programs were.

Here is Tony's Repo

Tony's project didn't have the command line interface fully done yet, so I just had to ask him how to use the program. His output looked good and I liked the feature of keeping a total count of good and bad links he posted at the very end of the output.

One issue I raised was that on certain requests the response took a lot of time so I recommended adding a timeout feature for this. In my project I implemented the same thing which was to use the net/http package for this.

Here's the issue I posted.

In general most of the issues I had are going to be easily fixed as he just needs to finish the ReadMe file and implement the correct text for the help output in the program.

Issues & Bug Fixing

Having someone look over my code always make me nervous. Thoughts like is good enough always race through my mind. Surprisingly Tony only brought up a few issues and he said he got it too run with minimal effort which was great to hear.

Tony pointed out a few issues that came up when he was looking through my code. One was to about an unnecessary if and temp variable, and the other was about a redundant counter variable that I have since changed.

Issue #1

Issue #2

Fixing these issues wasn't a big deal and it helped me see what I did wrong. I still have some issues I need to fix and work out but overall I am almost done!

Final Thought

One of the things my teacher for this class brought up is the concept of imposter syndrome especially in this field. After looking over many others projects for release 0.1 its easy to think that everyone is better then you. But the important thing is to learn from others to improve your own work.



Comments

Popular Posts