Skip to main content

Featured

Week 12: Release 0.4 Part: 3

Release 0.4 Part 3 This is going to be my final post for this class which covers my final update on my Release 0.4. Earlier this week I made a PR that ports SearchBar to NextJS but I'm still waiting for it to be reviewed some more. I've had some feedback that I have implemented and have also requested a review again. Overall this Release went pretty smoothly for the actually GitHub side of things like setting up the issue, making the PR, and so on. In Release 0.3 I wasn't so certain on how this process happened with Telescope, but now I never had these issues for 0.4. Issue #1470 Fix #1470: Port SearchBar from Gatsby -> NextJS #1503 Did I Meet My Goals? Going into this release I had two main goals: 1. Setup the Issue/PR with no issues 2. Learn about NextJS I feel like I meet both of these goals at the end. I had no issues setting up my branch, updating my master, making the issue, making the PR, and following through on review comments so far. When it comes to learning m

Week 1: Introduction

About Me

Hello everyone this is going to be my first blog post for the class DPS909 which is about open source development. My name is Matt Stewardson and I am 23 and am from Thunder Bay but currently living in Toronto for school. In Thunder Bay I got my degree for computer programming and have since moved on to acquiring a bachelors for software development here at Seneca College. Since I already have a degree iv'e been taking some classes out of order here at Seneca which has been interesting to deal with and work around.

Why Did I Take This Class?

I took this class as one of my professional options because it seems to be one of the better ways to gain experience and skill with actual real world problems. Typically most programming classes I had taken taught me how to work with the language and how to use it, but not how to deploy and work on a real world piece of software and I'm hoping to understand the real world process of programming at least a little bit more after this course. I want something I can point too and show to company's that show off my skills and knowledge. 

GitHub Repository

I was asked to research and pick a trending repository, and I decided to choose the Bevy data-driven game engine. Game engines have always interested me whether its Unity or Unreal, Godot or Game-maker its interesting to try and understand how those engines handle things such as lightning, physics, and game logic.

This engine has been developed using the Rust programming language with the design goals to be fast and simple utilizing Rust structs and Rust functions. This engine can handle both 2D and 3D graphics in real-time and is planned to be open source forever. It's still in early development but Im planning to watch and learn from this project and maybe even help after learning some more.

Here is the GitHub Repository

What Am I Working Towards?

Eventually I want to be able to work in the field of game development, most likely working on game engines or related software. To get to this goal I'm going to finish this bachelors and along side this improve my skills with my own self practice and research. Recently I have been teaching myself more about the Unity engine and I'm going to continue doing so.


Thanks for reading my first blog post! Im looking forward to learning more about open source development over the course of this term!

- Matt

Comments

Popular Posts